Thursday, May 24, 2018

Home made CW YF-122C filter board for Yaesu FT-817/857/897

I purchased Collins mechanical filter XF-115C 500Hz wide which was soldered out of the CW filter for FT-847 and decided to design a board to fit the filter in my Yaesu FT-817ND. The original Yaesu filter board is named YF-122C.
I measured the filter and the dimensions are like on the picture below
Dimensions of XF-115C collins filter
I used KiCad to draw the diagram and the PCB. On the diagram I made holes to put alternative Murata filter and some additional elements like caps (for experiments) which are not necessary to solder.

Diagram schematic of YF-115C/CN/Y filter
 I made the board using laser printer and heat transfer method. You can download the board ready to print (mirror version) here.

PCB of the filter
I made the board with 1mm thick FR4 laminate
Boards are ready, now cutting drilling and soldering.

 The biggest problem was to find the connectors for the board. I couldn't find the original ones at reasonable price in reasonable quantities. After much search I came up with the solution. I purchased some connectors with angled leads and spacing of 2mm like on the picture below and cut them to appropriate size. I purchased them for few dollars here.

2mm pitch connectors
 I cut out the 3pin and 4pin connector, soldered them at an angle and than raised bending them to vertical position so the holes in pcb matched the holes in connector.

Finished filter side by side with original
Bottom side with all elements in place

Filter installed in Yaesu FT-817

 When installed filter works exactly as original YF-122C. Is fully plug and play, no need to solder the filter to the radio's pins like I saw in other DIY work.

Happy CW'ing
Vy 73
Artur

4 comments:

  1. Cześć Arturze!
    Czy nie została Ci przypadkiem jena płytka?
    Chętnie bym się podłączył.
    Pozdrawiam Piotr SP2SWR

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ja także , nomoże projekt płytki?
    Pozdrawiam SP2YO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the KiCad project files or the gerbers available for this board?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share a link to the 3 and 4 pin female headers you ended up modifying and using? I don't see any JST 3 pin or 4 pin female headers that are pc mount.

    ReplyDelete

Filter board for Yaesu FT-817, FT-857, FT-897

I published post about making a home made filter board for Yaesu radios and some folks has written me to make the boards for them. Because ...